Prof. Piet Demeester
Phone +32 9 331 49 20
Piet Demeester is professor in the faculty of Engineering at Ghent University. He is head of the research group “Internet Based Communication Networks and Services” (IBCN) that is part of the Department of Information Technology (INTEC) of Ghent University. He is also leading the Internet Technologies Department of the strategic research centre iMinds. He is Fellow of the IEEE "For contributions to optical communication networks and technologies”, 2008.
After finishing a PhD on Metal Organic Vapor Phase Epitaxy for photonic devices in 1988, he established a research group in this area working on different material systems (AlGaAs, InGaAsP, GaN). This research was successfully transferred to IMEC in 2002 and resulted in 12 PhDs and 300 publications in international journals and conference proceedings. In 1992 he started research on communication networks and established the IBCN research group. The group is focusing on several advanced research topics: Network Modeling, Design & Evaluation; Mobile & Wireless Networking; High Performance Multimedia Processing; Autonomic Computing & Networking; Service Engineering; Content & Search Management and Data Analysis & Machine Learning. The research of IBCN resulted in about 90 PhD's, 2200 publications in international journals and conference proceedings, 45 international awards and 6 spin-off companies.
Piet Demeester was recently involved in the organisation of a number of international conferences:
- ECOC: European Conference on Optical Communications, Brussels (Conference volumes: ECOC 2008, ECOC 2012): TPC co-chair
- IEEE Smart Grid Communications, Brussels (SmartGridComm 2011): General co-chair
- IEEE/IFIP IM: Integrated Network Management, Ghent (IEEE/IFIP IM 2013): General co-chair
- EWSN: European Conference on Wireless Sensor Networks, Ghent (ESWN 2013): General chair
- DRCN: International conference on Design of Reliable Communication networks, Ghent (DRCN 2014): General chair
- AIMS: International Conference on Autonomous Infrastructure, Management and Security, Ghent (AIMS 2015): General co-chair
He is also associate editor of IEEE/OSA Journal of Lightwave Technology and OSA/IEEE Journal on Optical Communications and Networking.
He was/is chairing the ERC consolidator grant panel PE7 in 2013 and 2015 (“Systems and Communication Engineering”).